Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Praying For Lunch, Mantis That Is

I was sitting at home eating my lunch when Sue walked in and started telling me something. She went on for a while and then screamed. I started to say "Yes, I am listening" but she interupted me and yelled "What is that?"  I looked and saw something big but couldn't tell just what it was. We both went over and looked closer and found that a Praying Mantis had joined us for lunch. He was in the house on the step to the family room.


Sue, being a good host brought him in the kitchem and gave him the newspaper to read while we tried to figure out what to do with our guest.


He read the paper awhile and then started walking around on it looking at the pictures. We decided an outdoor picnic might be the best thing for Mr. Mantis.


Sue and I sat at the table while Manty looked at the flowers and made himself comfortable.


I decided that we might be impolite by not offering our guest something to eat. I went out in the yard and looked around while Sue entertained our guest.



I played a quick game of badminton with a wasp and he lost. I put the wasp on a flower by Praying.


 
 
Soon Mr. Mantis was happily eating his lunch. He was a little messy so it's a good thing we were outside having a picnic.
 
 
 
 

He even came back the next day and we had great time reminicing about old times. He had a bee for lunch this time.
 
 
It turns out we really didn't know each other that well. I think Mr. Mantis is actually Mrs. Mantis and is looking for a place to lay her eggs.
 
 
 
Next time we're going to explore all the exciting things going on in the yard.



1 comment:

  1. Those were really great pictures, Dad. Can you make sure there are no mantis babies in the beds when we come visit?

    ReplyDelete